Seven South Gippsland sports clubs awarded funds
Athletes at seven South Gippsland sporting clubs will be better protected by new equipment purchased through VicHealth’s Active Club Grants program, The Nationals Member for Gippsland South Danny O’Brien announced today.
Mr O’Brien said the grants provided clubs with up to $3,000 to purchase equipment such as first aid kits, helmets, goal post protectors, balls and flippers that made it easier for athletes to get involved in sports and also reduce the risk of injury.
“These grants help clubs with expenses that are necessary, but sometimes not justifiable through tight budgets,” Mr O’Brien said.
“It is fantastic that these clubs have been recognised for the role they play within the community, and I congratulate them on receiving this funding.”
Mr O’Brien said the following clubs were among a total of 296 across Victoria to share in more than $694,000 worth of VicHealth Active Club Grants:
- Dolphins Corner Inlet Swimming Club - $3,000 to purchase starting blocks, caps, paddles and fins;
- South Gippsland Umpires Association - $3,000;
- Leongatha Knights Football Club - $2,900 to purchase portable goals, goalie equipment, first aid kits and match balls;
- Tarraville Cricket Club - $2,460 to purchase helmets, guards, pads, protectors and gloves;
- Poowong Loch Junior Football Club - $2,430 to purchase helmets, goal post padding, first aid kits, balls and training bibs;
- Poowong Recreation Reserve - $2,400 to purchase goal post padding; and
- Tarwin Football Netball Club - $747 to purchase helmets.
VicHealth CEO Jerril Rechter said the organisation was proud to support local sporting clubs.
“Sports and active recreation clubs in South Gippsland are a great way for locals to get involved, meet new people and keep active for good health,” Ms Rechter said.
“We know from previous rounds these grants encourage community members to try a new activity, support them to join their local club or continue playing their favourite sport.”
For more information about the grants, phone Mr O’Brien’s Sale office on 5144 1987 or go to www.vichealth.vic.gov.au/activeclub