O’Brien welcomes highway funding – urges Labor to stump up
The Andrews Labor Government claims it has a “good record” on funding for the Princes Highway duplication – despite failing to fund the final two stages to complete the project after nearly 10 years of work.
The Nationals Member for Gippsland South, Danny O’Brien, said the Labor Government’s failure to fund the remaining $33 million of Victoria’s share in last week’s budget was disastrous given the Commonwealth funded its $132 million share in its budget this week.
“I congratulate my Federal colleague, Darren Chester for his hard work achieving results with the announcement of $132 million in the Commonwealth Budget to complete the duplication between Sale and Traralgon.
“The duplication will create a safer road for our community and visitors to the area, increasing our productivity and tourism.
“It’s now time for the Andrews Labor Government to come to the party with the remaining $33 million to finish the project.
“In Parliament last night I again called on the Andrews Labor Government to bring forward its $33 million share of the funding to ensure the project actually gets completed.
“Incredibly, Roads Minister Luke Donnellan said he had a ‘good record’ despite never funding a section of the road and said only that it will be considered in future budgets.
“As much as the Federal money is vital, the project won’t be completed if Daniel Andrews doesn’t stump up his share. His budget last week included revenue over the next four years of $280 billion – finding just 0.012 per cent of that to finish this project isn’t too big an ask when he’s spraying billions around on projects in Melbourne.
“Daniel Andrews needs to continue the bipartisan approach to this project that has been in place for many years now.
“Delivering this project will improve the efficiency of our roads and road safety and the Andrews Labor Government needs to get on with it.”
Thursday, 10 May 2018