Nominate a Senior of the Year
The Nationals Member for Gippsland South, Danny O’Brien, is urging local people to nominate suitable candidates for the Victorian Senior of the Year Awards.
“I regularly encounter inspirational seniors within our electorate who are hosting fundraising events, volunteering their time and achieving great things in our community”, Mr O’Brien said.
Anyone can nominate a senior that they admire, with entries open until Friday, 23 June 2017 across five award categories;
- Premier’s Award for Victorian Senior of the Year to an individual for an outstanding contribution to their local community and Victoria,
- Promotion of Multiculturalism Award to an individual for a significant contribution to promoting the benefits of cultural diversity in the community,
- Healthy and Active Living Award to an individual for helping to create active and healthy communities through community involvement and as a role model,
- Veteran Community Award to an individual for an exceptional contribution to the veteran community. The recipient of the award does not need to be a veteran, and
- Council on the Ageing (COTA) Victoria Senior Achiever Awards to individuals for significant contributions to local communities in Victoria.
Mr O’Brien said potential winners may be community leaders, but could also just be someone that you know who is doing great work around your community.
“Some of the most valuable members of our community are unsung heroes that would never dream of nominating themselves.
“These awards provide a fabulous opportunity to recognise these people for the contribution that they make.”
Winners will be announced at a ceremony at Government House in October.
More information and nomination forms can be found at www.seniorsonline.vic.gov.au or by phoning 1300 135 090.