Health Sport and Recreation Sale Foster Poowong Football Netball Golden Beach Surf Life Saving Leongatha Venus Bay Woodside
Local clubs awarded money for new equipment
Ten clubs in Gippsland South will share in close to $23,000 to purchase new equipment such as balls, rescue boards, racquets, safety equipment and uniforms to get more people involved in sport.
The Nationals Member for Gippsland South Danny O’Brien said the local clubs were receiving the funding through the latest round of VicHealth’s Active Club program.
“This funding will make a significant difference to local clubs who can now purchase new playing and safety equipment that will enable them to attract more people to their club and sport and do so in a safer manner,” Mr O’Brien said.
“Local clubs rely heavily on the fundraising efforts of volunteers to purchase new equipment, safety gear and uniforms and this funding equates to selling a lot of sausages or raffle tickets.”
Mr O’Brien said the 10 local clubs to be awarded funding were:
- Sale Little Athletics - $2,929 for a first aid kit, soft landing mat and take off markers;
- Foster Football Club - $2,520 for goal post padding;
- Poowong Basketball Association - $982 for basketball singlets;
- DWWW Football Netball Club - $3,000 for netballs, footballs and first aid supplies;
- Golden Beach Surf Life Saving Club - $2,821 for safety helmets, life jackets and hi-vis vests;
- Leongatha Basketball Association - $2,790 for uniforms and basketballs;
- Venus Bay Surf Life Saving Club - $2,758 for rescue/racing boards;
- Sale Community Bowls Club - $2,511 for spring-loaded boundary pegs and rink numbers;
- Woodside & District Football Netball Club - $1,365 for balls and umpiring uniforms and equipment; and
- Sale Maffra Junior Badminton Association - $1,200 for badminton racquets.
Mr O’Brien said sport and active recreation clubs were a great way for like-minded people to get the weekly recommended two-and-a-half hours of moderate exercise.
“Regular physical activity not only protects against many illnesses, it also makes us mentally healthy, alert and resilient against the stresses of modern life,” he said.