Awards now open to recognise women who excel
The Nationals Member for Gippsland South Danny O’Brien today encouraged residents of his electorate to nominate inspiring local business women for the 2016 Telstra Business Women’s Awards.
With nominations for the awards open, Mr O’Brien said it was the perfect time for friends and colleagues to recognise inspirational local business women.
“We have a large pool of talented local women in the Gippsland South electorate who are strong role models and leaders in the business community,” Mr O’Brien said.
“Every day I am meeting and working with women who exhibit passion, drive and courage to make their mark on the business and wider communities. Often these women receive little recognition for the work they do and these awards provide an opportunity for community members to show their appreciation.
“It was great last year to attend the awards with then Korumburra businesswoman Lucy Mertens who was a finalist in the Young Business Women’s Award and hopefully we can provide another finalist this year.”
Mr O’Brien said award categories this year included:
• Entrepreneur Award – open to owners with a 25 per cent share or more in a business they’ve been operating for a minimum of one year;
• For purpose and Social Enterprise Award – open to owners or employees that deliver positive social/environmental change as their core mission;
• Public Sector and Academia Award – open to employees of government departments, educational institutions and statutory bodies;
• Corporate and Private Award – open to employees in the private and corporate sectors, including leaders and owners with less than 25 per cent share in a business;
• Young Business Women’s Award – Entrants in any of the qualifying categories who are aged 29 years and under as at 20 June 2016, are automatically eligible for this category; and
• Business Woman in Asia Award – open to residents of Asia who are employees in the private and corporate sectors with less than 25 per cent share in a business.
“Nominations close Monday, 20 June and I encourage everyone to think about one woman in their communities who inspire them and consider nominating them for this award,” he said.
For more information or to nominate visit www.telstrabusinesswomensawards.com or call 1800 817 536.